It’s amazing to me how God works. Seriously, I thought I was the only person going through the most stressful, busy, and blessed time of their lives (so self-centered of me I know). I thought everyone else was just l-i-v-i-n-g their best life totally care-free. Well guess what? I WAS WRONG! Yes, a few years ago I would have never imagined those words coming out of my mouth or being written, but it’s true. I was so unbelievably super wrong. Absolutely everyone I know is trying to ride a bike with no wheels that’s on F I R E. (This is my idea of stress & busyness together). I mean it, seriously, everyone I know is going through this outrageous, demanding, abundant time of their life. So, I had to stop and think about what’s really going on? Is it just the people I have surrounded myself with? If so, I mean that’s more than fine, I’m happy we’re all going through this same busy season together. Or is this a 20’s thing? You know, settling into adulthood and hustling for that future we so desire. Or is this simply our American “work hard, play hard culture”? If you’re looking for an answer to this question I hate to break it to you, but I have ZERO answers.
I told y’all I would catch you up on what I’ve been doing, so I’m here to fulfill that promise. Well I’ve been trying to do my best to plan a wedding, key word here “trying”. Wedding planning is SO much more than I ever imagined it being. I am so excited to get to marry the hunk boat/man of my dreams, but it’s also a lot of work y’all (seriously I had NO clue). I will do a blog about all my amazing vendors and my wedding planner Natalie Plentl who is an absolute Rockstar, later to come. But I don’t want to bore you too much with the details but we are doing a rather quicker engagement and set the date for THIS YEAR! Eekkkkk, I’m so excited! And there’s always so much to do! It’s all a HUGE blessing, I know, but I feel like I can never get ahead when it comes to wedding planning. It can all be a little overwhelming and totally consuming if you let it. I think most of the girls who are brides or have been married know what I’m talking about. To you wonderful, beautiful girls, who don’t know what I’m talking about yet, just know your Prince is out there and he will be worth all of it. Every. Single. Part. I am here for you when your time comes.
Other than that, I am doing my accelerated nutrition program which started in February, right before Troy proposed and will last until the end of September. I absolutely LOVE the program I’m doing through the Integrative Institute of Nutrition (IIN). I’m learning SO much constantly and I wish I could just soak up everything like a sponge. It’s so weird, I was telling Troy this the other day, that I feel like IIN has changed my thoughts, my mind, and how I just view everything so differently and yet I look the same on the outside to everyone else. I feel like I’ve done a complete 180-degree change in my nutrition mindset and it was all just a mental flip, not something someone would notice like a haircut (which I probably need actually). I am so excited and passionate about the material I’m learning and I really can’t wait to share more of it with y’all soon! At the end of September, I have to take an international test and then I'll have the certifications under my belt, and I’m super excited to do that. I have hit the mark in my program where I can start seeing clients, but I want to start out slow and really take my time with each person. So, if you’re interested in bettering your nutrition and yourself, let me know! ;)
I am also an Alumni Advisor for my sorority at Texas A&M which I absolutely LOVE doing. The young women are so awesome and they fill my cup with so much joy! This is my first year doing this, so I’m always nervous I’m not doing enough or questioning if I should be doing more. If you don’t know me that well, just know, I’m just someone who always wants to give my all and do my best and sometimes that’s hard figuring out exactly what that means. I have to keep telling myself that’s okay. It’s okay to not have all the answers. It’s definitely taught me to relax a little more and trust myself.
Lastly, I started back at my old job that I was working at before law school, which has been such a blessing. I have a lot of freedom and my co-workers are extremely kind and respectful of everything that’s going on in my life right now. I know I’m extremely lucky and I’m so thankful to be working back here.
Up until a couple of days ago, I was having a few good days here and there but mostly really stressful, pull-your-hair-out kind of days. And what I’ve decided is I’m OVER IT. Stress has been ruining my attitude and my mood and it’s starting to seep out and effect those around me that I love. To those that were in my storm path, I am truly sorry, I love you very deeply and I’m sorry you had to see that side of me. I really hate to have anyone see that side of me. Thank you for loving me through the good times and the not-so-pretty ones, too.
What do I know? Well I know a few things that work for me and hopefully maybe they will work for you! These are the helpful tips that eliminate or help control stress & anxiety and ultimately help me turn my attitude and my days around, so I can be the best version of myself.
1. Take my vitamins every day and especially my anxiety/stress support vitamin. (I had been slacking on my vitamin regime, ironic since I’m doing this nutrition program, and its really caught up to me. (I’ve noticed a huge difference after taking these again, for the better). I have added the link below but please remember this is what works for ME & MY body. I’ve tried using other supplements and even the powders and this is the only one that works for me personally. So, you really have to experiment with these and see what your body likes. And always consult your doctor if you add a new product to your regime.
2. Prioritizing my sleep! This is a huge one. Pick what time you want to go to bed and set alarms on your phone an hour-and-a-half and then also an hour before that time. This has been super helpful, because when the timer goes off, I’m like, “okay I need to start wrapping up whatever I’m doing up”.
3. Taking a hot bath before bed and allocating time for this (in my above alarm schedule). This helps me relax and when you do this it helps you fall into a better sleep. If you don’t believe me, check out this article, Oprah said it, so it must be true, right? ;) http://www.oprah.com/health/what-to-avoid-before-going-to-sleep/all
4. Drinking enough water every day! This helps me in so many ways. I start my morning out with a glass of water and lemon. You can do this hot or cold! My tip would be to find a glass or mug you like and try to fill this a few times in the day. Start small and add water goals weekly. I use a Yeti 30-ounce Tumbler with the straw lid. I try to have at least 2 and maybe 3 of these a day. This is what works for me and my body! You might not need as much or you may need even more. I love having “spa” water because it helps me get my water down and I enjoy it!
5. NOT HAVING CAFFEINE. I repeat, do not do it. I realize I may have lost some people with this one but I promise you it contributes to stress. When I’m stressed out and dealing with huge levels of anxiety this is a huge factor. Coffee will shoot me through the roof of my anxiety level. How do I know this? I have and do experience this first hand. Believe me, when I’m stressed out and tired all I want is a good cup of coffee. I need it, right? No! What I need is some good sleep and to rest. Pushing your body to it’s limits everyday with coffee when you’re that stressed will wind up with some serious health issues. Like I said, I know this from personal experience. (Aka law school).
If you really don’t believe me, check out this study, on what it does to mice!
These are my 5 tips on when you’re stressed out beyond belief and you need to regain your cool factor again. Remember, this is what works for me, but I suggest you try out some of these tips if you’re experiencing a lot of stress and anxiety too. I am also always up for suggestions, so if anything works for you that is not listed above, please let me know in the comments below. I love hearing your comments and feedback!
Happy Tuesday & I hope you have a wonderful, restful weekend! Don’t stress too much and remember 1 Peter 5:7, “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you”. Trust your Creator and remember there is a reason for every season. God Bless!